NorCal Peace Corps Association and the Commonwealth Club of CA are partnering in “Pit Stop in the Paris of Africa” featuring Julie Dargis, RPCV/Morocco.
Julie Dargis was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco, and later spent over fifteen years working in Central Africa and Eastern Europe with populations affected by war and natural disaster. For many years, she was a humanitarian aid worker in some of the most difficult and dangerous countries in the world, including Morocco, Rwanda, Republic of Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Chad, Ireland, Serbia, Bulgaria, and the new Republic of South Sudan. Her book, Pit Stop in the Paris of Africa, answers the question: What is it like to live and work as a humanitarian aid worker? It is a collection of personal essays and verse, mainly sonnets, which the author began writing when she was a Peace Corps volunteer. The book depicts the many people the author met and worked with over the years. She will close her presentation with a brief discussion on how she came to write about and publish her experiences, including ideas on how others can recount stories of their own.
After the program, Julie will sign her books, which will be on sale that evening.
Registration: FREE for members of the Club, $20 standard, $7 for students (with valid ID).
NorCal PCA members-- To redeem the discounted ticket of $8:
1. Visit the direct event page: http://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/2013-09-23/pit-stop-paris-africa
2. Select the number of tickets desired at the bottom of the event page (each ticket-buyer will only be able to purchase two tickets at the discounted rate).
3. Select “Add to Basket” and proceed to check-out.
4. At the check-out page, enter coupon code: peacecorpsfordargis (keep in mind that coupon code is CASE SENSITIVE).
5. If there is any trouble redeeming the coupon online, it can also be used by calling our automated ticket line at 415-597-6705.
Program Organizer: Karen Keefer, RPCV/Nigeria & Liberia, X-Staff/PC HQ